Last Updated: December 7, 2020
Airbnb.org, Inc. (“Airbnb.org”) is a non-profit organization that enables and facilitates the provision of housing to persons in need in times of crisis and engages in related efforts to increase emergency preparedness and provide relief and support to impacted communities. We will often partner with other nonprofit organizations in pursuit of such efforts.
The information that’s shared with us helps us to execute our mission. Your trust is important to us and we’re committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information.
Airbnb.org (“we”, “us”, “our”) is responsible for the processing of your information in connection with your use of the Airbnb.org programs.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information You Give To Us.
- Airbnb Information. In order to book a stay supported by Airbnb.org, or to host a stay in support of Airbnb.org on the Airbnb Platform, users create an Airbnb account or use an existing Airbnb account. When you book or host an Airbnb.org supported stay, Airbnb will share certain information with us including your name, email address, date of birth, phone number, other Airbnb profile information, Airbnb usage information, Airbnb listing information, and the details of your booking.
- Donations. When you make a donation to Airbnb.org using Paypal we receive information including your name, email address and the amount of your donation. When you donate using an Airbnb account, Airbnb will share certain information with us including your name, email address, details of your donation, Airbnb profile information, and Airbnb usage information.
- Partners. In certain cases we may work with or fund non-profit partner organizations who provide services that align with our charitable purposes. In order to do this we may process grant applications and collect certain information such as names and email addresses.
- Additional Information. You may choose to provide us with additional information, such as when you fill in a form, respond to surveys, participate in our charitable activities, communicate with our customer care team, or share your experience with us.
Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of Airbnb.org
- Usage, Log Data and Device Information. We automatically collect and log information about your device and use of Airbnb.org. That information includes: IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages and features you’ve viewed or used. We may also collect this information from Airbnb as it relates to your Airbnb account.
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use, store, and process personal information to (1) provide, understand, improve, and develop the Airbnb.org programs, (2) create and maintain a trusted and safer environment (such as to comply with our legal obligations and policies) and (3) provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing.
Provide, Understand, Improve, and Develop the Airbnb.org programs. We may use personal information such as to:
- enable you to access and use the Airbnb.org programs,
- operate, protect, improve, and optimize the Airbnb.org programs and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research,
- provide customer service, and
- send you service or support messages and updates.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in improving the Airbnb.org programs and your experience with it.
Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment. We may use the personal information to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment such as to:
- detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity,
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- comply with our legal obligations,
- resolve any disputes with any of our users and enforce our agreements with third parties, and
- enforce our policies.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in protecting the Airbnb.org programs and to comply with applicable laws.
Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing. We may use the personal information to provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing such as to:
- send you a newsletter,
- send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information about Airbnb.org’s charitable programs and fundraising for those programs and social media advertising through social media platforms such as Facebook or Google,
- personalize, measure, and improve our advertising, and
- invite you to events.
We will process your personal information for the purposes listed in this section given our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to alert you to charitable programs and activities that may be of interest to you.
SMS noteikumi Amerikas Savienotajām Valstīm
Airbnb.org will use reasonable commercial efforts to deliver automated text messages to the mobile number you provide. Airbnb.org is not liable for delayed or undelivered messages.
By Opting In to a Text Message Service: You expressly authorize Airbnb.org to use autodialer or non-autodialer technology to send text messages to the mobile phone number associated with your Opt In. You also authorize Airbnb.org to include marketing content in any such messages. You do not have to Opt In or agree to Opt In as a condition of purchase.
You confirm that you are the current subscriber to the Opted In mobile phone number or that you are the customary user of that number on a family or business plan and that you are authorized to Opt In.
For additional help in relation to a text message, you may text HELP in response to a message or contact us.
You have choices on the promotional messages that you choose to receive.
- You can limit the information you provide to Airbnb.org. Participation in promotions and marketing programs is voluntary.
- To opt-out of marketing emails, simply click the link labeled “unsubscribe” at the bottom of any marketing email we send you.
SHARING & DISCLOSURE
Sharing With Your Consent or at Your Direction.
Where you provide consent, we share your information as described at the time of consent.
Advertising and Social Media
Where permissible according to applicable law we may use certain limited personal information about you, such as your email address, to hash it and to share it with social media platforms, such as Facebook or Google, to generate leads, drive traffic to our websites or otherwise promote the Airbnb.org programs. These processing activities are based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to alert you to charitable programs or activities that may be of interest to you.
The social media platforms with which we may share your personal information are not controlled or supervised by Airbnb.org. Therefore, any questions regarding how your social media platform service provider processes your personal information should be directed to that provider.
Please note that you may, at any time ask Airbnb.org to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an e-mail to DSR@airbnb.org.
Compliance with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm and Protection of our Rights.
Airbnb.org may disclose your information, including personal information, to courts, law enforcement, governmental authorities, tax authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or if such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with a valid legal request or to respond to claims asserted against Airbnb.org, (iii) to respond to a valid legal request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability, (iv) to enforce and administer our agreements with users, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Airbnb.org, its employees, its users, or members of the public.
These disclosures may be necessary to comply with our legal obligations, for the protection of your or another person's vital interests or for the purposes of our or a third party’s legitimate interest in keeping the Airbnb.org services secure, preventing harm or crime, enforcing or defending legal rights, and prevention of tax fraud or preventing damage.
Where appropriate, we may notify users about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon Airbnb.org’s property, its users and the Airbnb.org services. In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we may attempt to notify that user about the request after the fact where appropriate and where we determine in good faith that we are no longer prevented from doing so.
In addition to Airbnb providing the Airbnb Platform, Airbnb.org also uses a variety of third-party service providers to help us provide services related to the Airbnb.org programs. Service providers may be located inside or outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). These include financial and legal service providers and philanthropy and fundraising consultants.
Consistent with applicable law, you may exercise the rights described in this section. For any personal information that was collected and processed via the Airbnb Platform, you should exercise your data rights directly via the Airbnb Platform. For any personal information collected and processed by Airbnb.org, you may exercise your rights by contacting us directly via email at DSR@airbnb.org.
Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request.
Data Access and Portability.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request certain copies of your personal information held by us. You may also be entitled to request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and/or request us to transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
Rectification of Inaccurate or Incomplete Information.
You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information about you.
Data Retention and Erasure.
You have the right, in certain cases, to ask us to delete your information, provided there are valid grounds for doing so and subject to applicable law.
Withdrawing Consent and Restriction of Processing.
If we are processing your personal information based on your consent you may withdraw your consent at any time by sending a communication to Airbnb.org specifying which consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal. Additionally, in some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information, in particular where (i) you contest the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal information; (iii) we no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing, but you require the information for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to the processing and pending the verification whether the legitimate grounds of Airbnb.org override your own.
Objection to Processing.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require Airbnb.org not to process your personal information for certain specific purposes where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing, Airbnb.org will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
You have the right to lodge complaints about our data processing activities by filing a complaint with our Data Protection Officer, who can be reached by the “Contact Us” section below, or with a supervisory authority.
OPERATING GLOBALLY & INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS
Where we transfer, store, and process your personal information outside of the EEA we have ensured that appropriate safeguards are in place to ensure an adequate level of data protection. We rely on Standard Contractual Clause approved by the European Commission to transfer data from the EEA, Switzerland and other countries outside of where you live. You may request a copy of the Standard Contractual Clauses by contacting us at DSR@airbnb.org.
While no organization can guarantee perfect security, we are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration.
THIRD PARTY PARTNERS & INTEGRATIONS